Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Opponent Preview Week One: Georgia State

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
2022 Opponent Preview Week One: Georgia State
August 10, 2022

The Gamecocks will see a familiar face across the sidelines, with the start of the 2022 season now just weeks away and hype steadily building off a successful debut (and offseason) for new coach Shane Beamer, it’s time to take a closer look at the Gamecocks’ opponents on the gridiron this year, starting with the season opener against the Georgia State Panthers. (READ FULL ARTICLE)

We are lying to ourselves if we don't think getting a win as a college FB HC at W-B would mean a lot to Shawn, himself a life-long Gamecock.

SHAWN ELLIOTT'S COACHING CAREER
1997-09Appalachian StateAssistant Coach
2010-16South CarolinaAssistant Coach
2015South CarolinaInterim Head Coach
2017-PresentGeorgia StateHead Coach
HEAD COACHING RECORD
2015South Carolina (interim)1-5
2017Georgia State7-5 (Bowl Win)
2018Georgia State2-10
2019Georgia State7-6 (Bowl Berth)
2020Georgia State6-4 (Bowl Win)
2021Georgia State8-5 (Bowl Win)
Total31-35

Take away the record as interim HC here, Shawn is 30-30 as a fifth-year HC at the same school coming to play a second-year HC with no prior HC experience before coming to USC with a 7-6 overall HC record.

Just from a coaching experience standpoint alone, this is a 50/50 game for us.

However, I think Shawn's HC experience plus his passion during games gives GSU the advantage over us. Our bench depth, size and experience are the only things that will put us over the top for the win.

I think this is a dangerous 20-17/24-21 game that can go either way for us.

I like coach Elliott and he is Gamecock through and through. But for this game I wants us to beat the pants of Ga St.

I like coach Elliott and he is Gamecock through and through. But for this game I wants us to beat the pants of Ga St.
Agree, he is on the other side line now and a team the Gamecock has to beat.

We are lying to ourselves if we don't think getting a win as a college FB HC at W-B would mean a lot to Shawn, himself a life-long Gamecock.

SHAWN ELLIOTT'S COACHING CAREER
1997-09Appalachian StateAssistant Coach
2010-16South CarolinaAssistant Coach
2015South CarolinaInterim Head Coach
2017-PresentGeorgia StateHead Coach
HEAD COACHING RECORD
2015South Carolina (interim)1-5
2017Georgia State7-5 (Bowl Win)
2018Georgia State2-10
2019Georgia State7-6 (Bowl Berth)
2020Georgia State6-4 (Bowl Win)
2021Georgia State8-5 (Bowl Win)
Total31-35

Take away the record as interim HC here, Shawn is 30-30 as a fifth-year HC at the same school coming to play a second-year HC with no prior HC experience before coming to USC with a 7-6 overall HC record.

Just from a coaching experience standpoint alone, this is a 50/50 game for us.

However, I think Shawn's HC experience plus his passion during games gives GSU the advantage over us. Our bench depth, size and experience are the only things that will put us over the top for the win.

I think this is a dangerous 20-17/24-21 game that can go either way for us.
If this is a dangerous, close game for us, I'm going to be very disappointed. I think the world of Elliot, but we should be able to outrun, outgun, and anything else them. I will be very happy when we have had enough success that we don't automatically start thinking games against a nobody team is going to be tough.