Tuesday weekly news conference with Bobo and selected players
Bobo sees a physical opponent coming up in Kentucky
Gamecocks preparing to play its final game of the season this Saturday night at Kentucky, that is unless the SEC needs the Gamecocks to fill a bowl slot. It looks like the SEC will need 12 or 11 teams for the bowl season, depending on if two teams make the College Football Playoff. So, a two or three win Gamecock team could find itself in, say, the Birmingham Bowl lor the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl. In fact, the latest bowl projections by CollegeFootballNews.com has the Gamecocks matched up with Wake Forest in the Gasparilla Bowl December 26th in Tampa. But right now Mike Bobo is just trying to get the Gamecocks a win and end their five game losing streak.
Key comments from Bobo’s press conference Tuesday
- Impressed with Kentucky, physical team on both sides of the ball, their line is one of the better ones in the league, loves the center, very good running backs.
- Wilson can hurt you with legs and arm, Kentucky is very physical on offense, going to have to be able to stop the run. Defensively they base out of a 3-4, aggressive guys outside who can run, they are huge, big guys who can anchor the point.
- Kentucky plays a lot of zone so you have to be accurate with your passing, Stoops has done a great job with the program. Going to have to play more physically than they have been.
- Shi Smith did practice in yellow today, day three for him in protocol, Enagbare and Jones remain out.
- Getting Harris to a thousand rushing yards is a point of pride for the offensive line, something to build on for the future
- Not sure who will start at left tackle, both guys will play.
- Did not expect Smith to do as much in practice as he did today. Darius Rush was also back today, been dealing with injuries and Covid.