South Carolina Gamecocks  vs.  Chattanooga Mocs 

Sign in to follow this  
FeatheredCock

OT commitment Wyatt Campbell recovering from knee surgery

OT commitment Wyatt Campbell recovering from knee surgery

December 06, 2017

LUGOFF, S.C. – South Carolina 3-star offensive tackle commitment Wyatt Campbell played his entire senior season at Lugoff-Elgin High School on an injured knee.

The 6-foot-7, 285-pound future Gamecock tore his meniscus in a scrimmage on Aug. 3 against Blythewood, a little less than two months after he committed.

“The last game we played against Darlington, I played the first half and they took me out,” he said. “I was going to play the first-round of the playoffs here against Dreher.”

A trip to the doctor’s office changed that.

The day before the game, Campbell had an MRI. Less than 24 hours later, Campbell’s doctor delivered the news, telling his mom that he was done for the season.

“If I would have gotten something messed up, it would have messed some other stuff up, so my mom called me and said I was done and then I had surgery a couple of weeks after, actually that week,” he said

Campbell, who will enroll at South Carolina in January, continues through the rehab process, which includes a lot of time riding a stationary bike.

“I actually do a lot more upper body stuff than I thought, just keeping myself in shape,” he said. “Planks, sit-ups. … Just calf raises, leg press, just stuff to start building back up some muscle that I lost.”

By the time spring practice rolls around, Campbell should be close to 100 percent, if not all the way back.

“It really doesn’t even hurt me that bad anymore now,” he said. “I still have limits on what I can and can’t do. For the most part, I can do just about anything that I used to.”

According to the 247Sports composite, Campbell is the No. 68 offensive tackle in the Class of 2018. Among prospects from the state of South Carolina, he’s 14th overall.