South Carolina safety Javon Charleston reinstated to team
September 04, 2018
South Carolina safety Javon Charleston has been reinstated to the team following suspension, head coach Will Muschamp said Tuesday.
“His case has been thoroughly investigated,” Muschamp said. “I met with him on Sunday and discussed his situation at length. As long as he enters his pre-trial intervention, handles his business and handles some business I have for him as well, then we will decide at that time about playing time.”
Muschamp would not say if Charleston would be available to play Saturday against No. 3 Georgia.
“That hasn’t been decided,” he said.
Charleston, who was listed as a starter leaving spring practice, was arrested in June and charged with assault and battery and burglary after an incident involving a former girlfriend. Those charges could now be dropped, Charleston’s attorney told The State.
“We are pleased to announce Javon has been accepted into Pre-Trial Intervention,” Neal Lourie said in a statement released to the paper last week.
After starting his career as a walk-on wide receiver, Charleston was moved to the secondary and earned a scholarship. He has 16 career tackles. He has not practiced with the team during his suspension. South Carolina safety Nick Harvey will miss the first half against Georgia after being ejected for targeting last week against Coastal Carolina.